Monday, April 21, 2008

New York Comic Con

Hot on the heels of my chosen artform's huge show, I go to my profession's second largest US show, New York Comic Con. I don't talk about it often on my blog, but I do work in the comic book industry.
There were many highlights of the show, but I was mainly at our company's booth working the machines I was there to demo.
I did see a comic blogger that I read very often first thing on Friday morning before the show opened in the restroom. I recognized her from the enormous picture of herself in her blog's banner. I said hello, asked her if she was Valerie. She was a bit flustered, I think she was shocked to be recognized. I told her I read her blog, and said that I recognized her from her picture on her blog. (She did blog about getting a haircut for the show even..) Her version of events are here.
Anyway, I thought she was very nice. Would have loved to talk to her more, about women in comics who are not creators or editors or artists, but those of us behind the scenes making a big difference in the industry just the same. My point of sale project is pretty important, at least I think so, and as a long time fan and a woman in comics, I would like to had that conversation, even to see where it would have gone. Maybe some other day. I did finally join Friends of Lulu...
Anyway, I am in Baltimore until Wednesday, so no quilt art updates until I am back...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy being "back home" or I guess, since you're from Chicago, it's enjoy being "back away"?
I'll be going back East next week to my Gram's near where our wedding was... too bad that's STILL really far from Chicago - I miss you!