Saturday, September 03, 2011

About Weekly Quilts - Part 2 - Finding your Voice

I'm continuing my "About Weekly Quilts" articles.  Check HERE for part 1.  
************************
When I started weekly quilts, I just made what I wanted in year one.  By year two, I wanted to expand the idea slightly and make quilts that changed themes each month.  By the end of that year, I had an amazing body of work to reflect on, 104 mini quilts all 6 x 6 inches.  
Hindsight is 20/20, and while you are making this much work you aren't aware you are developing your own voice and style, but you most certainly are. 
Check out these "early" works in which I started seeing my "super cute" style appearing...  
And my latest quilts...
Maybe I didn't realize that these trees would later appear in a larger work of mine... 
The nice thing is that I got to refine techniques in years three and four.  These quilts here:

Became this work here:
And this is just the tip of the iceberg in what I see in my own work. 
So, working weekly helped me flesh out ideas, sure.... but I also found my voice and my style.  It's varied, but definitely me.  And I think I'm really happy about that, and why I plan to continue down the weekly journal quilt path.  
Next time: Weekly quilts as class exercises.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

You certainly do have a style that shows in your quilts. Thanks for the post; I really enjoyed reading it!