Sunday, January 02, 2011

Technique of the Week #33- Water Soluble Printing

Project Hours: 3 hours
Design and Materials: 1 hour

Execution: 2 hours 


This technique is by Susie Monday, and her directions are in the Dec 2009/Jan 2010 (last year's) Quilting Arts issue.  I also watched her Quilting Arts TV segment this week and was inspired to do this.
My drawing was made on some thin cotton that I stretched into a hoop to use as a screen of sorts. I used Caran D'Ache Neocolor II water soluble crayons I got from the art supply store. I drew this Octo very heavily and then slathered on a mix of matte medium and GAC 900 which is a fabric medium by Golden Acrylics. 
The first screen is always the crappy one, but this one that I quilted was screen #2 that I pulled.  The medium mixed some of the colors but I liked that.  This did have a little bit of a stiff hand because of the matte medium, but it was a fun technique that I will try again.

3 comments:

Willow River Piecemakers said...

Hey Cheryl - I played with this a bit this summer too. I am so bummed, I think QA did not get picked up in my area cause my TIVO did not pick it up! I will go double check right now! Happy new year!

Quilt or Dye said...

I have played a bit with this technique also. Currently using it to print fish on a my shibori dyed fabric for a baby quilt.

Susie Monday said...

Thanks for the credit! I also play around with lots of other techniques on my blog, http://susiemonday@gmail.com