Sunday, November 21, 2010

Technique of the Week #29 - Sticker Resist

Project Hours: 3 hours
Design and Materials: 1 hour
Execution: 2 hours
YES!  It's good to be back!  This week's technique is from the December/January 2009/2010 issue of Quilting Arts. While in Houston I had the great pleasure of meeting Enid Gjelten Weichselbaum, the author of this technique.  Basically, using a "dry brushing" technique over stickers, you get some great resist effects.  I used some foam stickers to spell out this phrase from H.P. Lovecraft and his short story "The Call of Cthulhu". 
Her article says that phrases are not recommended and I can see why.  These small stickers made making sure my paint was clearly in all of the little nooks and crannies a bit tough.  Also, if your spacing was not right, your phrases could come out jumbled and look like giant run-on sentences.  I worked my phrase from the bottom up.
This was quick to do, and the stickers I used were from Michaels and only $2.99 for my small pack of them. There are larger letters and more in the scrap book section.  If you have this issue, dig it out and give it a try!

2 comments:

Quilt or Dye said...

I will dig it out and give the technique a try!

ConundrumChum said...

I have some of these letters floating around somewhere, good idea. Thanks.