Saturday, February 18, 2006

Extreme close-up


The OKQ (Off Kilter Quilters) study group's next challenge is "self portraits". Inspired by Quilting Arts magazine's challenge results (Winter 2005), ours are to be 12 inches square and include a machine applique technique. It's also supposed to include something others might not see. I toyed with all kinds of head shot ideas, sketched a whole lot of samples. But, I was most inspired by a quilt in the challenge results that were not of the face of the person, but her body instead. Now, I'm not that brave.... But, it got me to think outside of the headshot and to focus on something else. Here it is. It's not just the dimple though. It's the two scars from moles I had removed a couple of years ago. And the smile, which has been missing from my face lately. Once it make the piece, I'll photograph it and post it. I can't wait to get started. Oh, and photographs this close up show me how bad my skin really is and that wrinkles are catching up with me.

No comments: