Sunday, August 09, 2009

August - The Art of Manipulating Fabric samples


I know I haven't posted June or July's mini quilts yet, but here is the start of August's. (I'm away on business again, so sorry for the sparse updating).

This is my first attempt at two projects from the book. I have to preface these with a couple of notes:
First, the one side that looks like woven strips is not woven, it's a series of manipulated tucks. It was pretty easy to sew, but very hard to get the tucks to do what they are supposed to do. It has a lot to do with the fabric you choose.

Secondly, this is not a book for beginners. I liken myself to be pretty good with fabric. I can hold fabric in my hands and know what it will do when sewn. You need to have this instinct when working witht his book. Also, it is not written with the novice in mind. You must have a good idea of the basics of sewing in order to accomplish the directions, which can feel sparse at times.

These things said, I am really enjoying the exercises. Hope you like it as much as I do.

5 comments:

Terrie Sandelin said...

The quilt looks fantastic!

Terrie Sandelin said...

I love the look of these -- that texture is so luscious!

Unknown said...

Muppin, these are cool!!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just wanted to mention, I loved this blog post. It was helpful. Keep on posting!

Anonymous said...


Good post. I learn something new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon everyday. It's always useful to read through articles from other writers and use something from their web sites.