Friday, April 03, 2009

Ephemera- Another Recycling Theme!


I love the concept of recycling in art projects, things that would be trash becoming something beautiful. Even moreso, I love "ephemera". Ephemera is material not intended to be retained or preserved. Vintage ephemera could be advertisments, candy wrappers, empty soda or beer cans, and so forth. More recently it's greeting cards, comic books, trading cards, and the like. Some ephemera is valuable, like comic books or other collectibles.
I'm of the "keep everything to remind me of things later" types. I keep cards and letters well past any meaning they may have held. If I have a memorable moment, I keep something from it; a ticket stub, a flier, a receipt, or shopping bag.
This month's theme is a recycling effort to use up some of the goofy ephemera I have been keeping for a project like this. I hope you like them.
This week's is scraps of Japanese newspaper that I got as packing material from one of my Japan purchases. Newspaper is not meant to be saved, per se. Especially newspaper that is used as packing material. But I love this stuff, and carefully fold the sheets I get from their crumpled up state in my boxes from Japan.
My painting, well, I'm happy and not happy with it. First of all, this is about as close to my true art style as you will see without me posting sketches. I'm not that great an artist, figure drawing or painting-wise. But these little eco-characters were in my sketchbook, and I thought I could use them effectively for this theme. My husband likes the "happy little dirt" in the lower left.

No comments: