Monday, June 16, 2008

The World is Quiet Here

For my next Personal Shrines monthly journal quilt, I decided to do one based on my favorite series of books: A Series of Unfortunate Events. I love everything about these books, from the zeitgeist setting, to the dry wit, to the numerous literary allusions in them. The best part is that they are for Children! Someone thought these would be great for kids. I think they would be great for MY (yet to never be born) children, but I can see the furor they would cause in some households.
The main Baudelaire orphans are depicted, as well as the grey city setting from the first book. Is that their house on fire? And what is VFD? It takes 13 books to figure that out.
I collected everything I could from these books. All the freebies, giveaways, shirts, toys, I collected it all. When the movie came out, I collected that junk too. It was all neatly arranged on a set of bookshelves, very much like a personal shrine. What is it about something I enjoy becoming an obsession?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love how you captured each of the children's special talents with thread. It's genius and subtle at the same time!