Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Adventures in Vintage Advertising

In one more week, I will have made weekly quilts on time for half a year. That's pretty good, given all that is going on. This week, I was working with vintage advertising. This was not how I wanted these ladies to turn out. I wanted to use an image transfer technique that was more arty, using gel mediums and photo paper, but all experiments failed. They weren't cheap either. So I resorted to fabric paper made to go through the printer to achieve the result above and below. My weekly quilt is based on an ad from the 1920's for a beauty shop! What a beautiful lady, isn't she? She's so glow-y and ethereal.
The bottom lady here is based on an ad from the 1940's for Ivory Soap. Now, I have hundreds of these ads, and my favorite are the "Psycho" crazy looking ones. This lady looks just so.... ODD. The best of them are these beauty ads, where the ladies in them look conniving and evil. I love them. And I love making up the phrases they look like they should be saying. I will master this image transfer technique and try some more psycho ladies out. This is a journal page for a fellow artist on ATCards.com.
We close on the house tomorrow. After that, the work on the quilt studio begins!


No comments: