Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Farewell tour

My quilt friends have surprised me with gifts this week and fond well wishes as I close the Maryland chapter of my life. Not that I won't come back for visits, but it does feel...final.
I got a lovely package of vintage linens and a couple of fabric postcards in the mail. And I also had a farewell luncheon thrown for me. I feel truly special and I will miss all of these ladies. I will miss their motherly advice in the absence of my family, and in many ways I consider them all second moms. So many have been there for the various parts of my transition to being a "real adult" that I don't know what I will do without them. Quilters are a truly special breed, and my Baltimore Heritage Quilt Guild friends are no exception. I had a unique experience being the youngest guild member for many many years.
My farewell luncheon was full of presents and I made my weekly quilt ( and a few other surprises) out of the tissue paper. I love travel stamps and since I am starting a new chapter in life, I thought I would use these fictional travel stamps to note what travels the future may hold. The technique was from Patricia "Pokey" Bolton's Make It U class on Thursday night at the quilt show. I love how this turned out.
I also visited Ellicott City for the last time and loaded up on vintage damask napkins for dyeing. I will miss the historic Main Street of Ellicott City, Savage Mill being a close second. I had tea at Tea on the Tiber, walked through all the shops, and enjoyed the antiques on a gorgeous day. Maryland is full of history and I am sad that I didn't get to see it all. There's so many places that "if I only had enough time" I'd go and see. Why didn't I do that over the past 11 years?
Two more weeks, and Maryland is behind me.

No comments: